A COMPROMISE



It has been nearly 2 months since I posted that I am done with the blog.  If you missed that post, you can click here to read it - 

HAPPINESS without Blogging

It has been a wonderful 2 months.  I had not realized what a burden this blog had become for me.  We have been on a few trips and I was actually unable to make myself take pictures or journal.  It was as if I was cleansing myself of all pressure that I had put on myself since starting the blog.  It felt SO GOOD!!!  Like a 20 pound weight was off my shoulders.

We just got back from an 8 day camping trip in the Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) on the drive home I got 5 texts from friends asking when they got to see pictures from our trip, and during our trip Shane had mentioned that it was too bad I wasn't going to put pictures on the blog.......ok........point is taken.

I have to admit that I dont want to cut the cord completely.  Here is my compromise.....I will post a few of the highlight pictures but keep the writing to a minimum.  The stories just take me too long and I have so many things I enjoy more than sitting in front of the computer....So here it goes!!!

8 days of great weather.  Daytime temps were perfect, bright blue sky every day, clear moonless nights FULL of stars!

This hike was 4 miles and CRAZY elevation gain.  Nearly vertical is some places.  I complained more than the girls.  They are tougher kids than me as a 20 year old when I just started hiking.  The last mile back to camp they RAN all the way down.  CRAZY!!



AWESOME owl that followed us down a canyon and then landed right by us.




Night time temperatures were amazingly cold.  Our water was freezing before it even got dark.  We NEVER have campfires, but we found that on this trip it was impossible to not have a fire.  The minute the sun went down the temp dropped fast.  Two of the nights we were at high elevation and we had to share sleeping bags to conserve heat.  Alli and Shane could zip their bags together.  Jill had to sleep IN my bag.  Reminded me of when she was 9 months and we went camping for 3 weeks - I had to sleep in the CAR with her every night.  At least it was only 2 nights.



Jill signing the register she found.
One day we went on a 4 wheel drive road (I am NOT meant to 4 wheel drive - I thought I was going to have a heart attack!)  and found this random boulder area.  We wanted to climb to the top cuz the girls love to boulder hop.  It was a beautiful location with a gorgeous view and lots of places we could have gone up.  Can you believe we climbed to the very top of one peak and Jill found a summit register!!  The guy who left it had dated it June 2009.  We were the first to find it.  It was so exciting.

Thanksgiving day we went on a 4 mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail.  It is so fun to think that some day we could actually hike along the entire PCT....some day....we had a wonderful relaxing time.  A very special neighbor of ours gave the girls a book on drawing Zentangles.  I had brought it on the hike and was drawing one when Jill came over and wanted to do one.  Look at this precious little face.  She is growing up so fast. 


And Shane is loving his book - A Wise Man's Fear - he was reading standing up.  Jill thought that was entertaining so she took his picture!  That night we had eggs, bacon and ham for Thanksgiving dinner.  YUM!  Now it's Sunday the 30th, we are back home and we are having Thanksgiving with the Chico clan.  We appreciate so much that we had 3 extra days to stay in the mountains.  I have 30 minutes to get our house ready for our guests.  This post took me 40 minutes.....I think that is sustainable!!  

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jenny,

    I just had to write you and personally thank you for the message you left on my blog this week. I want you to know how much your words have blessed me, my family, and even my parents. Some of the things you said felt like confirmation from above and touched me deeply. For quite sometime I have felt God calling me to write a daily inspiration book--something people can pick up in the morning to get themselves going in a positive direction. I wrote my book proposal in Dec. and have come up with a bit of an usual idea, but I love it so much. It is in my publisher's hands and they are deciding if this unusual idea will work or not. When I read that you use my book as a "motivational Bible" and read a little daily, I sent it to my editor at my publisher. It was divine confirmation for me that I must write this daily inspiration book. I wanted you to know that you really touched me with that line.

    There was so much understanding in your message -- the criticism I receive, the long hours it takes to post each blog, the doubt, you offered so much compassion and appreciation that it just affirmed so much for me. I thank you for being my angel. I hope someday I am lucky enough to meet you in person. What a beautiful family you have. They are BLESSED beyond measure to have you in their lives.

    Thank you for leaving that comment. It will be with me forever.

    Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      My heart simply SANG this morning when I opened up my email and had a comment from THE REAL LIFE Hands Free Mama!!! I couldnt open your comment quick enough. After wiping away the river of loving tears your comment left me with, I went back to check that comment I wrote yesterday on your blog.

      I had spent over 40 minutes off and on trying to compose that comment (between reading to the girls, getting them breakfast, and books to read and coloring books they wanted, you know what that is like, right!!!???) I nearly gave up a few times thinking "She gets so many comments and I am not even talking about the current blogpost....maybe I should just stop." But I was determined to do my part to counter the woman who put you down. I was sad that she took out her pain on such an angel to this world as you are to so many.....

      Well, your response to me was so beautiful and I was so touched (and of course had be crying so much I had to stop reading it for a moment!!) that I wanted to tell you one of the things that I took out of my comment, not sure how it might sit with you.

      This is what I took out: "Rachel, I feel as if you are a good friend of mine, even though we have never met. Your words are in my head every moment of my day as a mother, wife, sister and friend. I think - Am I making this present moment the best I can be for the people I am with right now? - and that is all because of you and your kind, motivating, uplifting and enlightening words. I honestly think that if we lived in the same town that you and I (and most likely our sweet girls) would be good friends. If ever you are in Chico, California you have a loving home to stay in with us. I consider you a friend."

      I am so touched that my comment meant so much to you. And, I will be the first to pre-purchase your book. I would pay for it right now, unwritten, just to know that I could have it in my hands whenever it is published.

      Much love,
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny, well, our connection seems to be even more of a gift with each exchange. As you probably know, we since moved to a new state and I truly would do anything to have a new friend like you. Thank you for saying that you thought we would be friends if we lived in the same town and that our girls would play. That makes me feel so good. Thank you for extending such a generous invitation to me to stay at your home! I would be tickled if I ever could get out there and accept! Thank you also for letting me know my words stick with you and help you make positive choices throughout your day. This is just pure fuel to my writer's heart. I pray that someday I will write that daily inspiration book and sign it especially for you -- my angel and friend. With love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Rachel,

      I know we would be friends, no doubt in my mind AND I know you will write that book. It will be the catalyst towards a future where raising children lovingly, thoughtfully, mindfully and with love will be the STANDARD, not the UNOBTAINABLE. And my offer is 100% true. I would love to meet you and your family. Love, Jenny

      Delete